Saturday, February 12, 2011

All the nights and all the days, minus Friday nights cause its Shabbat

Im not entirely sure, but I think I made my official standup debut. Tonight was the New Laffs Industry Showcase at the Broadway Comedy Club. I went on stage close to 11:00. I have to admit that my legs were literally shaking. Luckily there was a stool to sit on. I think the image would have been complete if I had a cowboy hat and a bolo tie. 
Anyway, Some of my jokes killed, others maimed. I obviously cant tell for sure but it felt like I got a really good reaction. My opener killed. My closer killed. I honestly feel really good right now. I still took my prozac but I feel good nonetheless. Many people seem to be surprised when they learn that this is really only my 8th time behind a mic, and the others were open mic nights. 
The thing I learned is something Ive been told before. I need to relax on stage and be myself. Im telling good jokes, but Im not telling anything about myself. If I can connect with the audience, I will destroy their humor fuses. I think I need to remember what it was like in class. I always said its very similar to doing standup; you talk in front of a group of people and nobody responds. 
Speaking of fuses, my sisters baby daddys car wouldnt start. No electricity, and then magically it did. Im starting to believe in karma.

No comments:

Post a Comment