Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Dangers of Zip-Lining Continue

Recently, the brilliant minds behind South Park produced an episode warning of the dangers of zip-lining. To give you brief synopsis, the boys go zip-lining to look for fun and instead are repeatedly plagued by boredom and Cartman farting. It was a funny episode and I walked away safe in knowledge that I shouldn't go zip-lining. Then I found more evidence.
Last week, 24 year old Georgia native Aimee Copeland was on a kayaking trip with friends. They decided to build a zip-line, thinking it would lead to anything but tragedy. The line snapped and cut her calf, sending her to the hospital for stitches. Certainly a buzzkill but not the worst thing ever. Until the wound kept hurting and getting worse. Now she is clinging to life with a nasty case of flesh-eating bacteria.
Ultra close-up picture of a flesh-eating bacteria
I'm trying to be funny here but it's hard, I keep alternating between cringing and feeling guilty. So far the injured leg has been amputated, and it has still spread to her abdomen. It seems too easy to make jokes about it as an effective weight-loss plan. And it would seem in poor taste to say that in Soviet Russia, bacteria eats you! And it would certainly be too soon to say that she needs the flesh-eating bacteria like she needs a hole in her leg.
Wow, that last paragraph made me feel terrible about myself. I need to go sit in a corner and think about what I've done.

No comments:

Post a Comment