Monday, May 7, 2012

Youtube Monday: RIP

You know what Monday's mean, besides a peak of my horrible crippling depression. It's Youtube Monday! Before I get to that, there are a couple things I need to get out of the way.
Eli Manning on SNL - I'll compress my thoughts into this sentence: it's a good thing that his job is winning Super Bowls and not doing sketch comedy
The Avengers - this is officially the best comic book movie ever. I loved everything about it, but I've been told to not give away anything for at least another week. Just go see the damn movie, I know I will be seeing it multiple times.

And now back to our regularly scheduled program. Last Friday, a third of one of the greatest bands ever passed away. Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys succumbed to cancer and left us forever wondering watcha watcha watcha want. I have many fond memories of The Beastie Boys like blasting Brass Monkey through an ancient vinyl record player. I remember performing Sabotage loudly in a Chinese karaoke bar (I provided my own music).
In 2009, I was gearing up for the All Points West music festival. The Beastie Boys were set to headline when MCA was first diagnosed. They had to pull out and were replaced at the last minute by Jay-Z. A pretty good compromise if you ask me. Ever the performer, Jay-Z took the stage with an amazing cover of No Sleep Til Brooklyn.
So this weeks Youtube Monday is in special tribute to you, MCA. I present you my personal favorite song and video by the Beastie Boys. May you rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment