Wednesday, June 20, 2012

There And Back Again: My Adventures At URI

It's a late post today but it's for a good reason. I went on a recent adventure which I will now relate to you. It is a harrowing tale of goblins, fire trucks, and woe. It all began on a pleasant night in Rhode Island...
My brother-in-law has been telling me about this place called the Ocean Mist in Wakefield, Rhode Island. Every Tuesday night they have a reggae night. Five dollar cover charge gets you two drinks and all the reggae you can take. However, last night I was much like Christina Hendricks' boobs, I was the DD so all I had was a single beer. But the music was good and the back porch is right on the beach so you get a nice breeze along with a great view.
Before we got to the Ocean Mist however, we needed food. I will fully confess to loving the food in a college town and my brother-in-law is of course a student at University of Rhode Island. So we started off at Kingston Pizza where we split a "couch potato" pizza. It was glorious. I had nacho cheese, bacon, mashed potatoes, and more cheese. This was followed by a short food coma but I awoke ready for the music.
The Ocean Mist closed at one o'clock leaving us looking for more food. But that's the best part of food in a college town; places are open super late. We ended the night at International Zone, right off the URI campus. Me and my brother-in-law split a Texas BBQ Calzone. Picture a perfect conflagration of chicken, bacon, cheese, and of course bbq sauce. Glory ensued.
All told, I will remember this sojourn not for the reggae music it was originally intended for, but for the food that came along with it. Food in a college town is always available and there's about a million different kinds. On a former visit he took me to an amazing Indian place that is now defunct. Long live the food surrounding the University of Rhode Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment