Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Long and Short Of It

I have decided that I will be moving to Nepal. Some may call it a spiritual journey, others a quest to find the Yeti, still others might call it bull$#!+. They are all wrong. I have no spirit and the Yeti currently lives in New Hampshire and works as a tax auditor. As for the BS claim, ok they're right. I'm not actually going to move to Nepal. I just want to visit for a day so I can feel like a giant.
What the hell am I talking about? I present you with Chandra Bahadur Dangi, potentially the shortest man in the world. The man claims to stand 22 inches tall, or 22 inches short in this case. For reference sake, that is roughly the size of my femur. For more reference, you could get a set of 22 inch chrome rims for about $1500 or just clone Mr. Dangi a few times and put him to work. Considering that due to his height, he can't find a job, he might be willing to. Hell, he'd be able to move out of his brothers house. 
He looks like a regular dude with his legs buried in the ground
I'm not here to mock Mr. Dangi, I'm sure he gets enough of that. Yes, he does look like a tiny Pete Postlethwait. And yes, he could be mistaken for a garden gnome except for the fact that he lives in Nepal, not Argentina
The people from the Guinness Book of World Records will be meeting him in Kathmandu on Sunday to measure him before officially declared the littlest person. Personally, I would live in constant fear of housecats and getting accidentally kneed in the face, but he's in good spirits. Not only is he in remarkably good health (72 years old) but he is really looking forward to being officially declared itty bitty. 
Mr. Dangi is not the first Nepalese gentleman to be declared so short. A former record holder was also Nepalese. Now normally, I would be reluctant to make any sort of wide declarations about an entire country based on such a small sample group (seriously no pun intended), but I think its safe to call Nepal the shortest nation in the world. Ironic when you consider that most of Mount Everest is located in Nepal. I guessed they used most of their allotted height on the mountain instead of its people. 
Just for contrast, the Maasai people live mostly on the plains of Africa and are very tall, reaching an average height of just over 12 feet. Might be less, I didn't feel like doing much research. 
So anyway, good luck to you Mr. Chandra Bahadur Dangi and I'd like to welcome you to the totally fictional Dave Samson Book of Awesome People. 

No comments:

Post a Comment