Friday, April 13, 2012

Aliens+Dinosaurs=Awesome/Crazy

I learned something new today. Two things really. First, I learned that Flexxo is a mischievous little bastard who will steal my wallet out of my jeans, either for beer money or cause he likes to chew on leather.
The other thing I learned is that scientists can be crazy too. Dr. Ronald Breslow, professor of chemistry at Columbia University published a paper in the Journal of the American Chemical Society's March 25 issue. It had the seemingly innocuous and boring title of Evidence for Likely Origin of Homochirality in Amino Acids. But the title belies the insanity within.
I'll spare you from having to read the entire thing, cause I'm not going to either. But in a statement, Dr. Breslow himself said that if life forms do exist on other plants, they "could very well be advanced versions of dinosaurs", potentially more intelligent than humans.
Artists rendering of alien dinosaurs. Not pictured: the mama
There is some amount of logic in his argument. Not much but some. For years, scientists have speculated that amino acids on Earth came via meteorites around four billion years ago, sparking life and evolution and Jon Hamm. Seems kind of plausible to me. It takes a nosedive however when Dr. Crazypants speculates that mammalian supremacy only occurred because of the Chicxulub asteroid destroying all the dinosaurs.
He then goes on to say that if life evolved on a planet similar to ours but with no cataclysmic rock falling from the sky, then beings that he describes as "probably advanced lizards (dinosaurs)". So not only do we have to contend with aliens, but they're dinosaurs too.
Imagine the likely war between us and them. We're flying our awesome F-18's and they're getting knocked down by bipedal dinos from the sky. Our tanks getting crushed by their triceratops-piloted war machines. Our bullets unable to penetrate their thick hides while their laser rifles melt our mammalian frailty.
The fact that this is all coming from a professor at Columbia University makes me glad I didn't pursue my Masters degree there. Or anywhere. I think his statements immediately discredit the institutions that granted him his degrees. This is the kind of sci-fi insanity that belongs in the sacred texts of Scientology.
I will admit that it is heartening to know that its not just idiots like me who are crazy enough to believe in alien dinosaurs. Actually, I don't really believe in alien dinosaurs, but I will admit that it would be awesome if they were real.

2 comments:

  1. Robert Bakker postulated a few years ago that, based on reduced numbers of species and other considerations, the dinosaurs were well on their way to extinction. Asteroid or not, they were destined to be toast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed. I think the general consensus among the paleontological community is that dinosaurs were on the decline long before the asteroid. Jack Horner found during a dig that almost 90% of flowering plant life had died out prior to the asteroid. This rippled up the food chain with herbivores dying out from lack of vegetation and carnivores dying out from lack of herbivores.
    I believe that their size finally caught up with them. It is very difficult to maintain population levels when competition for food is extreme, even among family groups.

    ReplyDelete