Monday, April 23, 2012

Youtube Monday: The Young Ones

My friends, I have some sick parents. At a young age, they introduced me to the BBC. Not Masterpiece Theatre or Shakespeare or anything. No, they showed me the crude BBC comedies I have come to love and partially base my life on. Obviously Monty Python, Fawlty Towers and Keeping Up Appearances were in the rotation, but none had quite the impact of a show called The Young Ones.
The Young Ones follows four college students sharing a house in London. Except these are literally the four worst students in all of England. There's Neil, the hippie. Rick, the activist douche. Mike, the cool guy. And my favorite, Viv, the punk. Coming out in 1982, The Young Ones was considered groundbreaking for the time and its still funny. I present to you my favorite scene, which gives a pretty good approximation of the characters and the show. Watch for Mike.
My family has been repeating the fish line ad infinitum for the last 30 years. The general response to the show is either love it or hate it. Or, more frequently, "I don't get it". Hopefully the accents won't trip you up too much, but if you enjoyed this clip, I recommend checking out the rest of the series. Don't worry, like most BBC shows, there's only a dozen episodes.

1 comment:

  1. British comedy just about defines us, doesn't it? Don't forget ABsolutely FABulous -- there are some new floating around. WOW

    ReplyDelete