Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Follow Up: You've Gotta Be Kidneying Me

Holy followup Batman! Last Friday I brought you the story of a Chinese teen who sold his kidney for some Apple products. To recap, young Wang Xiansheng (Chinese for Mr) sold his kidney for 22,000 RMB in order to buy an iPhone and an iPad. Now, Wang is going through renal deficiency. That's medical speak for "one kidney too few".
Anyway, charged have finally been brought on those involved who still have all their kidneys. They are currently being charged with intentionally injuring another person but I would imagine there are some more on their way. China officially outlawed the trading of human organs in 2007, meaning that if Apple had rolled out the iPad in 2006, it'd be totally legal.
What I think black market organ deals look like
No word yet on if Wang will see any charges. Given that this is the same country that used to charge the families of executed criminals for the cost of the bullet, I wouldn't be terribly surprised to hear that Wang is under arrest for not paying taxes on his kidney sale, or with promoting Western decadence. I'm being colorful of course, but I wonder if having one kidney is punishment enough for his stupidity and complete lack of priorities.
This has made me do some serious soul-searching. What products would I sell a kidney for? It's a tough call to make. What is there that I want so badly but can't afford? Besides my electricity bill. I really want an iPad, but not enough to sell an organ for. I guess I could use a new car. Something fuel efficient with a big backseat.
I'd totally sell a kidney for a Prius
So while Wang spends the rest of his probably shortened life judging his health by the power of his stream, the other five get to keep their kidneys. There are a lot of alarming elements to this story. The fact that Wang's priorities were so messed up that the first thing he could think of to use with kidney-sale money was an iPad reflects a serious lack of realistic needs (as in touchscreen over rent).
Then there is the amount of people involved. As of now, only 5 have been arrested and charged but there was an entire medical team involved in this, not to mention the buyer. And then there's the overlooked fact that this kidney sale took place in April of last year. The story took a year to break and then just as long for those criminally responsible to even be charged. That means that for the last 12 months, they were free to continue transplanting organs. 
This leaves me with an even bigger question. Where am I supposed to go to get my new kidneys? Mine work just fine, I just like to have a few extra on hand, just in case. They're fun to throw at vegetarians.

No comments:

Post a Comment